What You Can Try Before Contacting a Locksmith
Modern locks have several moving parts and they need to be well-lubricated in order work well and minimize wear-and-tear. If you are experiencing any trouble turning your key once it is inside a lock, a good first step would be to lubricate it by simply spraying a small amount of lubricant into the keyhole.
Lock Still Doesn’t Work? Call 212-729-1854
Our qualified locksmith technicians at Locksmith Upper West are extremely knowledgable and skilled at lock installation. We offer a swift and efficient installation process that uses the most effective lock systems available to the public. For residential properties, we offer a variety of lock installation services, ranging from: exterior/front door locks, bedrooms, bathrooms and even windows. Moreover, Locksmith Upper West Side offers high security cylinders and top-notch locks from renowned companies like Medeco, Mul-T-Lock, Assa Abloy, and the like. Our locksmith technicians will install locks throughout your residence quickly and efficiently, ensuring that you are totally protected within your residence. Once the process is complete, they will provide keys for each designated lock. Lastly, we value our customers and guarantee great service at an affordable price point.
When to consider lock replacement or a new key
As a home owner, there are times when lock replacement may seem like the best option for you. However, most security experts agree that replacing a lock may not be necessary. Alternatively, locks can be re-keyed, offering the same security for less money.
- Moving to a new home. The reason we strongly advise buying new locks for your new home is because copies of keys may have been distributed over the years. Furthermore, some copies may have been made whose location is now unknown – whether by family members for previous boyfriends or girlfriends or by dishonest people who had access to the home.
- A break-in. At the very least, we recommend people replace their keys after a break-in. That is particularly the case if the burglar got in without forced entry. Was the door open or did the intruder somehow get ahold a key? New York crime statistics show that nearly all of the 40 percent of burglaries that gain entrance through a door do not involve forced entry.
- Lost or stolen keys. If a set of keys to the house is lost, the first assumption should be that someone who wishes to gain access to your home has the keys. Of course, that is often not the case. Nevertheless, security experts preach preparedness, so if anyone in your family loses a key, you should strongly consider replacing your home’s locks.
How do I know which lock to choose for my door?
Whether you’ve had a new door installed or your old locks simply aren’t cutting it anymore, you should do some research before purchasing new locks. Once you have an idea of what kind of locks you might want installed, many homeowners find it helpful to then consult professional locksmiths for further advice and consulting.
The two types of locks typically purchased are:
1. Deadbolt locks, which cannot be moved to the open position except by rotating the key.
2. Springbolt locks, which can be opened by applying force to the bolt itself.
At Locksmith Upper West Side, we suggest that homeowners purchase only ANSI (American National Standards Institute) Grade 1 Locks on their homes’ exterior doors. In terms of grading, “Grade 1” locks are the most durable. Therefore, they are most resistant to any type of force applied during a potential break-in or the like.
Thus, the locks that we recommend are deadbolt locks because they are a much better security option. Grade 1 deadbolt locks should be able to withstand 250,000 cycles and 10 strikes against the door.
We understand that purchasing locks can be a complicated decision. If you need help trying to determine which locks will work for your door or even other parts of your home, do not hesitate to give us a call. That way, we at Locksmith Upper West Side will be able to properly go over your options for a new lock installation.
Will installing a new lock damage my door?
If your new lock installation is carried out by a professional home locksmith, then there should be no damage caused to your door.
Locksmith Upper West Side’s skilled technicians will have to drill the necessary holes into your door so that they can insert the new lock properly and securely, but we guarantee no damage to your door.
It is vital that your new lock installation is carried out by a professional because there are many parts of the process that could lead to a damaged door if it is not carried out as needed. By hiring an unprofessional (and therefore cheaper) locksmith company, you may end up having to spend thousands for dollars more on an new door installation.
How long will the new lock installation take?
The time it will take to install your new locks varies, for a few reasons. First, it depends on the material your door is of. For example, it takes much longer to install a lock on a steel door as opposed to a wooden door.
Moreover the total installation time will vary depending on whether or not the holes required for a new lock installation have already been drilled into your door. If they have not, it would understandably take more time because the necessary holes must be drilled so that the lock can be fitted into the door.
Finally, the installation time might vary depending on the kinds of locks being installed. Some homeowners request a simple knob spring lock for added protection. On the side of the spectrum, someone else may prefer to install both a doorknob lock as well as a deadbolt lock in order to make their door very secure. When done by a professional technician, your new lock installation should take no more than half an hour.